Disclaimer: Tools First supports our readers with thousands of hours of research to help you find the right products for your needs and make your life easier. You support us through our carefully chosen links that may earn us a commission.
Choosing the best plunge router can be a difficult task when there are so many options available.
When it comes to wood routers there is the option of a fixed base, a tabletop, a motor head wet tile cutter. It all depends on what gets YOUR job done best.
Our pick from the list of top rated plunge routers is the Festool 574692 – hands down.
Why did we pick it?
Simply because of its high build quality and efficiency to get the job done over and over again – making it the perfect pick for a contractor.
If you’re not a power user then take a look at the other plunge routers we recommend below – we have included different models at different price points to suit all budgets.
On this page:
Best Wood Router with Reviews
Here's a list of the best wood routers we found on the market:
1. Festool 574692 Plunge Router - Top Pick
- Ergonomic handles: Festool routers are designed for increased control and reduced fatigue. Integrated switches allow use with just one hand
- Dust extraction: Integrated dust extraction ports capture dust and debris at the point of creation, increasing visibility, prolonging cutter life, and saving valuable cleanup time
- Swiveling chip deflector: Can be used with edge forming bits, maximizing chip and dust extraction even around curves and corners. Attaches and releases quickly with tool-free spring clip system
- System integration: Designed for use with the FS Guide Rail system, MFS multi-routing templates, and a wide range of other accessory options
- Precision depth adjustment: Micro-adjustability dial allows routing with tremendous precision
2. Bosch 1617EVSPK Combination Plunge Router - Best Value
- VARIABLE SPEED, VERSATILE POWER TOOLS: Electronic variable-speed with 2.5 horsepower motor from 8,000 to 25,000 RPM. The fixed and plunge base combo wood router kit allows for soft starts and...
- PRECISION CENTERING ROUTER TOOL: Experience precision centering to keep bits on the intended cutline. When using a jigsaw, templates, dovetail fixtures and similar guidance devices, the fixed base...
- DURABILITY AND CONVENIENT COMBINATION ROUTER: Aluminum construction makes this one of our most durable routers for woodworking with wooden handles on a fixed base and a soft-grip handle on a plunge...
- EVERYTHING INCLUDED WITH ROUTER KIT: Router (1617EVSPK), plunge base (RA1166), fixed base (RA1161), fixed base chip shield, plunge base chip shield, 1/2-inch and 1/4-inch self-releasing collet chucks,...
- TRIM ROUTER EASY RETURNS: Bosch manufactures and promotes premium quality power tools and products for wood working projects, trim carpentry, fine wood worker, carpenters, men, women, and adults. We...
3. Hitachi KM12VC Plunge Wood Router Kit - Best Cheap
- 11 Amp motor (2-1/4 Peak Horsepower), for precise, controlled cuts
- 2-stage motor release clamp, for quick and accurate depth adjustments and base changes
- Electronic speed control, maintains constant RPMs even as load varies
- Class leading noise level, only 79.5dB for a quieter workshop
- Includes: 1/2" Collet Chuck (323293), 1/4" Collet Chuck (323293), Template Guide Adapter (323272), Centering Gauge (323296), 16mm Wrench (323294), 23mm Wrench (323295), 4mm Hex Bar Wrench (944458),...
4. DEWALT DWP611PK Plunge Router Router Combo Kit
- Durable 1.25hp motor delivers the power to meet the toughest applications
- Variable speed control feature enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications. No Load Speed range 16,000-27,000rpm
- Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut
- Dual LED's and clear sub-base ensure maximum visibility in operation
- Adjustment ring enables controlled bit depth changes to within 1/64-inch (fixed base only)
5. Makita RT0701CX7 Plunge Router Kit
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 - 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- Smooth rack-and-pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
- Slim and ergonomically designed body for increased comfort and control
- Quick release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
6. Triton TRA001 Plunge Wood Router
- Single button switches from conventional plunge to fixed-base router with rack and pinion mode
- Through base, single wrench bit change is achieved with automatic spindle lock
- Micro winder enables continuous fine depth adjustment through the full plunge mode
- Soft start and variable speed provides the perfect speed for all cutter types
- Side air vents reduces intake of dust into the motor casings
7. DEWALT DW618PK Plunging Router Kit
- 2-1/4 hp, 12-amp electronic variable speed motor provides the power to rout smoothly through the toughest hardwoods
- Comes with 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch collets for improved versatility and bit retention
- Depth adjustment ring provides precise depth adjustments in 1/64-inch increments and adjusts vertically
- Adjustable, tool-free steel motor cam lock makes depth adjustment and base changes quick and solid-locking
- Integral, through-the-column dust collection collects 95% of the dust and provides superior bit visibility