Disclaimer: None of our reviews are sponsored. We earn a commission when you purchase items through our links.
Choosing the best plunge router can be a difficult task when there are so many options available.
When it comes to wood routers there is the option of a fixed base, a tabletop, a motor head wet tile cutter. It all depends on what gets YOUR job done best.
Our pick from the list of top rated plunge routers is the Festool 574692 – hands down.
Why did we pick it?
Simply because of its high build quality and efficiency to get the job done over and over again – making it the perfect pick for a contractor.
If you’re not a power user then take a look at the other plunge routers we recommend below – we have included different models at different price points to suit all budgets.
On this page:
Best Wood Router with Reviews
Here's a list of the best wood routers we found on the market:
1. Festool 574692 Plunge Router - Top Pick
- Ergonomic handles: Festool routers are designed for increased control and reduced fatigue. Integrated switches allow use with just one hand
- Dust extraction: Integrated dust extraction ports capture dust and debris at the point of creation, increasing visibility, prolonging cutter life, and saving valuable cleanup time
- Swiveling chip deflector: Can be used with edge forming bits, maximizing chip and dust extraction even around curves and corners. Attaches and releases quickly with tool-free spring clip system
- System integration: Designed for use with the FS Guide Rail system, MFS multi-routing templates, and a wide range of other accessory options
- Precision depth adjustment: Micro-adjustability dial allows routing with tremendous precision; depth control to 1/256" (1/10 mm) with ball detents
2. Bosch 1617EVSPK Combination Plunge Router - Best Value
- VERSATILE: This versatile kit can be used for a broad range of applications, including precise bit plunging, edge forming, slot cutting, laminate trimming and dovetail cutting
- DURABILITY: Aluminum construction makes this one of our most durable routers for woodworking yet with wooden handles on a fixed base and a soft-grip handle on a plunge base
- EASE OF USE: Rounded hardwood handles maximize user control
- CONVENIENT: With the built-in Constant Response Circuitry, your hand router will maintain a constant speed throughout the cut, so you get cleaner, more accurate results
- KIT CONTENTS: Includes a plunge base, fixed base, 1/4 in. and 1/2 in. collet chucks, shaft wrench, collet nut wrench, chip shields and carrying case
3. Hitachi KM12VC Plunge Wood Router Kit - Best Cheap
- 11 Amp motor (2-1/4 Peak Horsepower), for precise, controlled cuts
- 2-stage motor release clamp, for quick and accurate depth adjustments and base changes
- Electronic speed control, maintains constant RPMs even as load varies
- Class leading noise level, only 79.5dB for a quieter workshop
- Includes: 1/2" Collet Chuck (323293), 1/4" Collet Chuck (323293), Template Guide Adapter (323272), Centering Gauge (323296), 16mm Wrench (323294), 23mm Wrench (323295), 4mm Hex Bar Wrench (944458),...
4. DEWALT DWP611PK Plunge Router Router Combo Kit
- Durable 1.25hp motor delivers the power to meet the toughest applications
- Variable speed control feature enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications. No Load Speed range 16,000-27,000rpm
- Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut
- Dual LED's and clear sub-base ensure maximum visibility in operation
- Adjustment ring enables controlled bit depth changes to within 1/64-inch (fixed base only)
- Allows up to 1.5" of depth travel with standard base & 2" with plunge base.Adjustment ring enables controlled bit depth changes to within 1/64" (fixed base only)
5. Makita RT0701CX7 Plunge Router Kit
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 - 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- Smooth rack-and-pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
- Slim and ergonomically designed body for increased comfort and control
- Quick release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
- Soft start feature for smooth start ups
6. Triton TRA001 Plunge Wood Router
- Single button switches from conventional plunge to fixed-base router with rack and pinion mode
- Through base, single wrench bit change is achieved with automatic spindle lock
- Micro winder enables continuous fine depth adjustment through the full plunge mode
- Soft start and variable speed provides the perfect speed for all cutter types
- Side air vents reduces intake of dust into the motor casings
7. DEWALT DW618PK Plunging Router Kit
- 2-1/4 hp, 12-amp electronic variable speed motor provides the power to rout smoothly through the toughest hardwoods
- Comes with 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch collets for improved versatility and bit retention
- Depth adjustment ring provides precise depth adjustments in 1/64-inch increments and adjusts vertically
- Adjustable, tool-free steel motor cam lock makes depth adjustment and base changes quick and solid-locking
- Integral, through-the-column dust collection collects 95% of the dust and provides superior bit visibility
- Item does not come with a centering tool