Disclaimer: None of our reviews are sponsored. We earn a commission when you purchase items through our links.
Choosing the best plunge router can be a difficult task when there are so many options available.
When it comes to wood routers there is the option of a fixed base, a tabletop, a motor head wet tile cutter. It all depends on what gets YOUR job done best.
Our pick from the list of top rated plunge routers is the Festool 574692 – hands down.
Why did we pick it?
Simply because of its high build quality and efficiency to get the job done over and over again – making it the perfect pick for a contractor.
If you’re not a power user then take a look at the other plunge routers we recommend below – we have included different models at different price points to suit all budgets.
On this page:
Best Wood Router with Reviews 2020
Here's a list of the best wood routers we found on the market:
1. Festool 574692 Plunge Router - Top Pick
- Ergonomic handles: Festool routers are designed for increased control and reduced fatigue. Integrated switches allow use with just one hand
- Dust extraction: Integrated dust extraction ports capture dust and debris at the point of creation, increasing visibility, prolonging cutter life, and saving valuable cleanup time.Base Diameter:2.5...
- Swiveling chip deflector: Can be used with edge forming bits, maximizing chip and dust extraction even around curves and corners. Attaches and releases quickly with tool-free spring clip system
- System integration: Designed for use with the FS Guide Rail system, MFS multi-routing templates, and a wide range of other accessory options. Power Consumption - 1400 watts / 11.7 amps 120 v. Drive...
- Precision depth adjustment: Micro-adjustability dial allows routing with tremendous precision; depth control to 1/256" (1/10 mm) with ball detents
2. Bosch 1617EVSPK Combination Plunge Router - Best Value
- VERSATILE: kit can be used for a broad range of applications, including precise bit plunging, edge forming, slot cutting, laminate trimming and dovetail cutting, making it one of the most widely used...
- DURABILITY: aluminum construction makes this one of our most durable wood routers yet with wooden handles on a fixed base and a soft grip handle on a plunge base
- EASE OF USE: rounded hardwood handles maximize user control; microfine bit-depth adjustment
- CONVENIENT: with the built-in constant response circuitry, our 1617EVSPK wood router will maintain a constant speed throughout the cut, so you get cleaner, more accurate results
- 12 AMP MOTOR AND ADJUSTABLE SPEED DIAL: user can set the optimal speed (8,000-25,000 RPM) for more or less power
- INCLUDES: plunge base, fixed base, 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch collet chucks, shaft wrench, collet nut wrench, chip shields and carrying case
3. Hitachi KM12VC Plunge Wood Router Kit - Best Cheap
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- 11 Amp motor (2 1/4 Peak Horsepower), for precise, controlled cuts
- 2 stage motor release clamp, for quick and accurate depth adjustments and base changes
- Electronic speed control, maintains constant RPMs even as load varies
- Class leading noise level, only 79.5dB for a quieter workshop
- Includes: 1/2 inches Collet Chuck (323293), 1/4 inches Collet Chuck (323293), Template Guide Adapter (323272), Centering Gauge (323296), 16 millimeter Wrench (323294), 23 millimeter Wrench (323295), 4...
4. DEWALT DWP611PK Plunge Router Router Combo Kit
- Durable 1.25HP motor of DEWALT router delivers the power to meet the toughest applications
- Variable speed control feature of DEWALT plunge router enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications
- Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut
- Dual LED's and clear sub-base ensure maximum visibility in operation
- Adjustment ring enables controlled bit depth changes to within 1/64-inch (fixed base only)
- Plunge base incorporates fine-tune adjustment rod for precise depth setting
5. Makita RT0701CX7 Plunge Router Kit
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 - 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- Smooth rack-and-pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
- Slim and ergonomically designed body for increased comfort and control
- Quick release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load. Fits compact routers models RT0700C and RT0701C
- Powerful 1 to 1/4 HP (maximum) Motor Delivers Improved Performance
6. Triton TRA001 Plunge Wood Router
- Single button switches from conventional plunge to fixed-base router with rack and pinion mode
- Single wrench bit change through base is achieved with automatic spindle lock
- Micro winder enables continuous fine depth adjustment through the full plunge mode
- Soft start and variable speed provides the perfect speed for all cutter types
7. DEWALT DW618PK Plunging Router Kit
- 2-1/4 HP (maximum motor HP), 12.0 amp electronic variable speed motor of DEWALT router provides the power to rout smoothly through the toughest hardwoods
- DEWALT plunge router features electronic variable speed with full feedback control for constant speed under load from 8,000-24,000 rpm and soft start to reduce start-up torque for enhanced control
- Micro-fine, depth-adjustment ring provides precise depth adjustments in 1/64-inch increments and adjusts vertically for a constant switch/cordset location
- Adjustable, tool-free, steel motor cam lock makes depth adjustment and base changes quick and solid-locking
- Integral, through-the-column dust collection collects 95% of the dust and provides superior bit visibility
- Quick-release motor latches for fast and easy motor pack removal for bit and base changes
Richard Andrew says
Wonderful review article. Very informative and helpful to understand the major features and quality about plunge router. It also gives visitor to buy the best router.
Thank you, for sharing such an informative article.
Hopefully, waiting for more article in the future.