Disclaimer: None of our reviews are sponsored. We earn a commission when you purchase items through our links.
When you need to make ceramic repairs, there’s nothing better than glue or epoxy for a speedy fix.
Super glue and epoxy have their advantages and disadvantages depending on the use case. For example, certain epoxies tends to be food safe (FDA approval), and waterproof, whereas super glues tend to not be FDA approved and only water resistant.
This guide highlights the 6 best products for ceramic repairs on the market, as well as the distinct differences between super glues and epoxies.
On this page:
The Best Glues for Ceramic & Porcelain 2021
Here is a list of the best glues for ceramic repairs that we found.
1. J-B Weld ClearWeld Quick-Setting Epoxy
- J-B Weld is a multi-purpose two-part epoxy that sets to a hard, permanent bond on a number of applications.
- Tensile strength rated at 4400 PSI with a bond stronger than steel.
- An easy to use syringe design make the application process a breeze. Simply prep the surfaces you intend to bond by cleaning any dirt and residue. Next, dispense the resin and hardener from the syringe and mix to create the epoxy solution. Finally, evenly apply it to your work surface and allow to set/cure.
- Set time of 5 minutes and cures in 1 hour to a transparent and clear strong bond.
- Once cured it is waterproof so can be used in both indoor applications, such as on tiling in a bathroom, or outdoor applications with total confidence.
2. J-B Weld MinuteWeld Instant-Setting Epoxy
- J-B Weld is an instant setting, two-part epoxy that has been designed as an alternative to torch welding.
- Tensile strength rated at 2850 PSI, much stronger than the super glue competitors.
- Will set in most temperatures in just 60 seconds and cure transparent in 1 hour.
- Easy to use syringe design that dispenses exactly amounts of resin and hardener for a perfect bond.
- Stronger than most superglues, J-B Weld is ideal for a variety of household repairs including; chipped ceramics such as flooring tiles or kitchen plates.
3. Gorilla Clear Super Glue Gel
- Gorilla super glue is a versatile adhesive that along with ceramic and porcelain can be used on wood, plastic, rubber, metal and more.
- The special gel formula prevents the glue from running out of control, ideal for vertical applications.
- Unique rubber particles improve strength and impact resistance.
- Fully dries in only 10 – 30 seconds with no clamping needed.
- An anti-clog cap prevents the glue from drying out, ensuring it is fresh and ready to use, time after time.
- Gorilla super glue gel is a great choice for making immediate repairs on smaller-scale indoor projects such as broken ornaments.
4. Gorilla Clear Super Glue
- Gorilla super glue 15 gram is a versatile, quick-drying adhesive suitable for use on ceramic, porcelain, wood, plastic, metal, rubber, leather, paper and more!
- Features a special ‘impact-tough’ formula that includes unique rubber particles improve strength and resistance to impact.
- Dries in 10 – 45 seconds, no clamping necessary.
- Anti-clog cap prevents the glue from drying out and keeps it fresh.
- Gorilla super glue 15 gram is developed specifically for instant, long-lasting household repairs.
5. Gorilla Clear 2 Part Epoxy
- Two-part epoxy for gap-filling projects and tough repair jobs that require a spotless durable bond for any ceramic piece.
- Bond strength of 3300 PSI. For maximum bond strength clamp your project together and leave to fully cure.
- The easy to use syringe design keeps each part of the epoxy formula separate to prevent hardening until you need it. A resealable cap keeps both resin and hardener as fresh as possible to extend shelf life.
- Takes just 5 minutes to set. Leave undisturbed for 30 minutes and up to 24 hours for any load-bearing bonds. Cures clear.
- Highly resistance to extreme temperatures and solvents.
6. (Food Safe) Craft Resin Epoxy Kit
- Craft Resin's creative liquid is a premium epoxy resin that's great for more creative repairs or projects.
- It's food safe, goes on clear, easy application and great for bigger jobs.
- All you need to do is mix together equal parts from each bottle in the kit and be sure to continuously stir for 3 minutes as you pour. Then you pour the mixture over any project and spread.
- The cure time is 24 hours.
What is the Best Glue for Ceramic Repairs?
The type of ceramic glue you use is highly dependent on the application you’re using it for. From our overall assessment, we have to say that epoxies are generally the best for most ceramic repairs. Our top pick goes to J-B Weld 50112 ClearWeld for its incredible tensile strength, relatively quick set time for an epoxy and superb versatility. It doesn’t matter where you use this adhesive or what you use it on, it is guaranteed to hold strong well into the future.
Please keep reading to make sure you understand which types of glue are available for ceramic and porcelain repairs and how they more specifically differ from each other.
Epoxy glues traditionally come in two parts, a resin and a hardener. Once dispensed they are mixed to create a strong, gap-filling bond perfect for structural ceramic and porcelain repairs.
Compared to superglues, epoxy glues take much longer to dry and set. This can be detrimental for time-dependent repairs but for making sure you have everything aligned, they are ideal. Epoxy glues also provide the strongest bond possible out of any adhesive.
Along with being extremely strong, they are also highly resistant to extreme temperatures. This means they can be used for a wide range of applications in a variety of conditions. Like most adhesives, before applying epoxy to ceramic and porcelain make sure any dirt, rust, grease etc is cleaned from the surface.
You should choose an epoxy for your ceramic and porcelain repairs if the bond location is weight-bearing or will experience pressures from various angles. Also go with an epoxy if you have gaps that need filling or if the location of your repair is likely to experience extreme temperatures or weather conditions.
Lastly, some epoxy manufacturers cater directly to ceramic tile repairs. If you’re going to go this route be sure to pay close attention to see whether the epoxy is formulated for indoor or outdoor use.
Super glues are made from cyanoacrylate which is an acrylic resin that forms an almost instant bond. Set times from application can be as little as 30 seconds making super glue great for immediate repairs.
Unlike epoxies, they do not require any mixing and instead can be used straight from the bottle. The tradeoff for its easiness to use is the last of strength, at least when compared to an epoxy. Don’t be mistaken however, as when used for the correct application super glue will hold strong for a long time.
Avoid forming bonds in areas that will experience any forces except pulling, such as heavy weight-bearing. Using superglue for making repairs in areas that are susceptible to extreme weather conditions is also not recommended.
Super glues are best used for nonporous ceramic repairs, delicate applications and small scale projects that are non-weight barring.
Wrapping it up
The above 6 products are the result of extensive research on the best glue for ceramic and porcelain repairs. Both types of adhesive, super glue and epoxies, are represented in the list meaning there is sure to be an option to suit your needs.